SSDC are about to roll out communications about the new measures to cut congestion, improve services and enhance safety at recycling sites from Monday 3 October.
The main points are:
- The vast majority of existing site customers use cars (including estates, 4x4s, people carriers, campervans) to take household waste to recycling sites. They will not be affected in any way (except to find shorter queues from 3 October).
- A small percentage of household users have cars with trailers or have vans – they will need to apply online for a free van and/or trailer permit.
- A far smaller number of household users have bigger vans, large trailers, use horseboxes or turn up with a tractor. These few will no longer have access to sites for household waste.
- And those with addresses outside Somerset cannot get a permit for a van or trailer.
- Buried in the website is also a restriction on times. Permits will allow access to recycling sites on weekdays when the sites are open and between 1pm-4pm on Saturday afternoons. To avoid congestion at busy times you will not be able to visit using your permit between 8am-1pm on Saturdays and at any time on Sundays.
The website for details and permits is [click here] and the system itself will begin at recycling sites from Monday 3 October.