Dates changes for Easter, May and August Bank Holidays are in the pdf below.
South Somerset has been selected as a Census test area as the Office for National Statistics needs to test its systems ahead of an online census in 2021.
More details in the attachment.2017 Test short article South Somerset
SSDC are about to roll out communications about the new measures to cut congestion, improve services and enhance safety at recycling sites from Monday 3 October.
The main points are:
- The vast majority of existing site customers use cars (including estates, 4x4s, people carriers, campervans) to take household waste to recycling sites. They will not be affected in any way (except to find shorter queues from 3 October).
- A small percentage of household users have cars with trailers or have vans – they will need to apply online for a free van and/or trailer permit.
- A far smaller number of household users have bigger vans, large trailers, use horseboxes or turn up with a tractor. These few will no longer have access to sites for household waste.
- And those with addresses outside Somerset cannot get a permit for a van or trailer.
- Buried in the website is also a restriction on times. Permits will allow access to recycling sites on weekdays when the sites are open and between 1pm-4pm on Saturday afternoons. To avoid congestion at busy times you will not be able to visit using your permit between 8am-1pm on Saturdays and at any time on Sundays.
The website for details and permits is [click here] and the system itself will begin at recycling sites from Monday 3 October.
Please see the SSDC page for details of the Flood Re scheme designed to provide house insurance to those in a flood risk area.
Historic England (English Heritage as was) are focusing on the listing of war memorials across the country. The consultation report linked below is part of that process to which local communities are invited to comment.
Mindline Somerset is open over the festive period.
Mindline Somerset is open out of hours for people in Somerset who need to talk to someone, feel isolated, distressed or upset. We can also give basic information about mental health and local services. Mindline Somerset has been run by Mind in Taunton and West Somerset for 15 years and has been supporting thousands of callers increasing to over 6,000 per year. We are currently open between 8pm-11pm Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun on 01823 276 892.
We are pleased to announce that we will continue to keep the line open over Christmas and New Year and provide that listening ear for people that need to talk to someone. We all know Christmas and New Year can be that time of year that can be hard for some people and it can be a lonely time for some. Mindline Somerset will be here for those who would like to talk to someone in confidence about what they may be going through.
The service is provided by volunteers who are everyday people that have decided to offer their spare time to support and listen to others that may need someone to talk to when they may not have anyone they feel they can. All the volunteers are fully trained and supported throughout their time they give to the service, they may have an interest in mental health, survivors or personal experience helping close ones. We are lucky enough to have volunteers that are prepared to give their time over the festive period to support the people that call Mindline Somerset.
We can safely say that Mindline Somerset will be open on the evenings of Christmas Day, Boxing Day and also 27th December as well as the usual nights that Mindline Somerset currently covers.
If you’d like to know more about Mindline and other services provided by the mental health charity Mind in Taunton and West Somerset you can visit www.mindline.org
Mindline are currently recruiting for more volunteers to support the service to continue to operate, so if you’d like to volunteer please email or call the team firstname.lastname@example.org 01823 334 906.
If you would like to support a local charity to help continue to provide services for Somerset then please do so through our www.justgiving.com/Mindtws